Quick and damn easy with only 6 ingredients and 10 minutes needed at most and 5 minutes for cleanup !. Why don't you do your mayonnaise instead of buying supermarket ones with full of preservatives and you are not even sure about the quality of the ingredients. With your own made mayonnaise, you can choose the oil, the fresh eggs, fresh lemons and add your taste of mustard and any herbs you wish. Not to forget that for what it's worth, your homemade mayonnaise will cost you much cheaper.
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon of salt (a bit less is better but add to taste)
1 teaspoon vinegar (same as the one you put in your salad)
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (we used the lemon juice from supermarket for salad)
1/2 teaspoon of Mustard powder
3/4 cup of oil (we used sunflower oil - Brand: Slite and a plastic cup)
& if you wish
Small pinches of herbs (rosemary, thyme and parsley)
1. Separate the yolk from the white (we used an egg separator but it can be done without it easily)
2. Put your egg yolk in a bowl, add the salt, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard powder and herbs.
3. Use your mixer on the ingredients to get a bright yellow color. Mix all together for 30 seconds.
4. Put the oil drop by drop with a spoon while mixing the whole. Use 1/4 of the cup of oil.
5. Continue with the rest of the oil you should put it very little by little and each drop by drop you put in the mixture should be mixed completely before continuing.
6. When you have finished all the oil, you are done. Normally the mixing operation should take 8 minutes. You can add a spoon of hot water while mixing if it is too thick.
But, with the above ingredients it won't be :) We are sure about it because we did it ! :)
If you have an immersion mixer instead no need to add the oil little by little. You simply have to mix everything together. Start from the bottom to the top.
It is creamy and rich with a natural tanginess with makes you want to dip your fries into them. Also, this is perfect when you are planning a BBQ and got many guests coming. You don't have to ruin yourself over buying mayonnaise from the store. You can make as much as you want for half the price !.
And anyway store bought mayonnaise really taste like a watery imitation compared to this one.
How much time can you keep it ? [VERY IMPORTANT]Last and definitely not LEAST ! .. Home made mayonnaise does not contain any preservatives and turn bad often over 48 hours up to 1 week (kept in fridge). You should take care to get fresh and good looking eggs, else look for pasteurized eggs.
If you use it quite rarely, it would be better for you to buy the store one. But for recipes requiring a lot of mayonnaise or like when you need a lot of mayonnaise for special occasions then its definitely better to make your own.
Have any recipes you want to share with us, contact us through our group on Facebook at this link > ashfaqblog < https://www.facebook.com/mauritianblogger